Sunday, March 22, 2009

My (limited) vocabulary in Ghana

The official language of Ghana is English, but everyone also speaks an Akan language. So the Ashanti speak Ashanti Akan (called Twee) and the Fanti speak Fanti Akan (called Fanti), for example. After being here for a month, it’s sad to see how little Twee and Fanti I have learned. But, something is better than nothing, so here are my key phrases from Ghana. Most are Twee but some are Fanti (I’ll try to note which are which, but I might be incorrect.) Please note that they might not all be spelled right. And in terms of pronunciation, “dw” sounds like “j” while “wo” is backwards c that sounds like a tiny “o” and “ky” sounds like “ch.”

Tasha’s Ghanaian Vocabulary

Nyame nhyira wo = God bless you
Akwaaba = Welcome
Maaa akye = Good morning
Maaa aha = Good afternoon
Maaa adwo = Good evening
Da yie = Sweet dreams
Me do wo = I love you (not in a romantic way, but an affectionate way)
Me pa wo cho = please (literally, I beg you)
Me da ase = thank you
Men da ase = no thanks needed (like you’re welcome)
Mereko ma ba = I’ll be right back
Ete sen = how are you?
Wo ho te sen = how are you?
Wo nso = also
Eye = (I’m) fine
Eh kye ri a te = I’ll see you soon
Me hu ana dwo = I’ll see you tonight
Me hu o kye na = I’ll see you tomorrow
Wai ah dia = Well done (Twee)
Embo na edwuma = Well done (Fanti)
Obroni = white person (not offensive)
Obibini = black person (not offensive)
Efua = Friday girl
Kwame = Saturday boy
Kofi = Friday boy
Ekua = Wednesday girl
Kweku = Wednesday boy
Yaw = Thursday boy

Ghanaians really appreciate my efforts to speak their language, so they always smile and are ready to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment