Monday, March 9, 2009

Interesting company names in Ghana

I am thrilled with my braids, courtesy Diana at Aseda Salon (means “thanks” or something similar) in Takoradi with special assistance from Helena. Today, we were driving and it was wonderful to roll down the windows. With my normal hair, even a ponytail is challenging with the windows down because my hair flies around and gets so tangled and knotted. With the braids, I have no issues at all and am loving the new freedom. I keep writing about Helena, Nana, and Samson, so here are some pictures of us this morning (Helena and me in the first one, Samson, me, and Nana in the second one):



(You’ve seen Fredrica and Isaac in previous posts.)

Our team has been commenting on the names of the companies here. Ghana (at least the southern part) is primarily Christian and they’re very assertive about it. I enjoy it, but I can imagine that it might be a little much for our teammates who are not Christian. Anyway, on the way to lunch today (I had tatale with beans, so good!), I wrote down the names of a sampling of the stores we passed. Some are Christian, and others are quite amusing to me:

Above All Electricals
Who Knows Enterprises
Big Brains Electrical
Time Will Tell Phone Shop
God is Love (market)
Smak’s Daycare
Amazing Grace Beauty Salon
God Did It Fashion
Messiah Touch Motors
Good Shepherd Enterprises
God Has Done It Beauty Salon
The Lord is my Savior Copy Center
Believers Cleaning Centre (janitorial service)
God Is Good All the Time (market)
Praise Bakery
Raincoat Roofing
Goodies
Just Do It Kitchen
God’s Hand Auto Body
Beauty Code Klinik
God’s Grace Fast Food
Rock of Ages Fashion
El Shaddai Electrical
Unique Auto Cooling System
Still God is Good Fashion

Random thoughts of the day:
* Prasad calls photos “snaps” and it’s rubbed off, so we all call them snaps now and it makes me smile
* Pies here are actually what I would call empanadas (i.e., they are meat and not sweet), and biscuits are what I would call cookies (i.e., they are sweet)
* We lost power for several hours today so it got hot in the AGI conference room without any fans, but I am glad my computer holds a charge well
* I am trying to carry items on my head, but it’s harder than it looks (so far, I dropped a box of metal dishes, successfully carried some books, and managed to carry my laptop bag briefly)

Work-wise, we had a good day with West West today. We still have a lot of work to do, but we’re making progress on the personal and professional front. We drive back out to Ayiem tomorrow, so I am going to get some sleep tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, you are rockin' the new braids! Not that the green headdress wasn't awesome, too. Those store names are rather daunting, but what an interesting aspect of the culture. Wow, your adventure is well underway, and as expected you are making a great go of it. Keep up the good work and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tasha, aren't you the best for remembering my birthday in the midst of all of your travels! I'm loving your blog, although it's hard to keep up. I get tired just reading about everything you've been doing. You'll have to be sure to let us know how birthdays are celebrated in Ghana when yours rolls around next week. Happy Birthday a week early!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Chris! I am having a wonderful time. We're busy all the time between work and play. And I absolutely love the braids, they help my scalp breathe in the hot & humid air, and they make travel much easier. I have a new headdress for Friday, so I'll post new pics after then. Thanks for reading this blog :)

    Marie, I tried to send an e-card but my connection was way too slow. Hope you had a great day today! Thanks for the early birthday wishes, two of us are celebrating birthdays here in Takoradi this month, should be fun. Thanks for reading my blog, even though it’s really long. As is always the case, I do everything at the expense of sleep!

    ReplyDelete