Monday, March 2, 2009

Counting my blessings

Instead of blogging about a long work day, large egos, and disrespectful people, I will blog about what was actually a very happy day with some good fun. I have so many reasons to be grateful in general, but here are a few specific blessings about my time in Africa:
* My flights were on-time, safe, and comfortable.
* Our team has good dynamics given the amount of time we’ve known each other and the number of cultures represented. And our small team (Ananda, Rosa, Tasha) has great dynamics and teamwork.
* The box I shipped arrived on time and without any issues.
* I am really enjoying my teammates, the hotel staff, and Ghanaians in general.
* I am excited about the projects that Ananda, Rosa, and I have been assigned because we’re learning a lot and we believe that we are actually making a difference (tactically and strategically) with our clients.
* Today, we lost power at West West 3 different times, but with my new T61 ThinkPad, it had battery power the entire time. The rain outside kept the offices relatively cool and the sunlight kept it bright. [Akosua says they used to lose power every week, but this year it’s only been once a month so far until today.]
* Oops, I forgot my anti-malaria pill last week but no worries since I haven’t yet been bitten by a mosquito.
* Our hotel has air conditioning, as do our offices, which makes things MUCH more comfortable. Even though I don’t run the AC continually, it is nice to come in from hot & humid weather and step into a cooler, drier room.
* The cell phones provided by CDC have been very useful in keeping track of each other, communicating with clients, and making social plans.
* I am really enjoying the Ghanaian food, and it agrees with me so I haven’t even had something as mild as a stomach ache – I feel great!
* The pineapples here are sweet, juicy, and delicious, so I am eating it nearly every day.
* I’ve had paw paw (papaya) for breakfast several times.
* I am very happy with my hotel room, and even happier with the hotel lobby. Honestly, I don’t have any major issues with the hotel or my room.
* The clothes I brought (many thanks to Marti for helping so much!) have worked very well.
* Even though it has been hot and humid, I have been quite comfortable with just a few exceptions.
* I experienced last week a time when the sun was completely shining, not a cloud in the sky, and there was a downpour of rain. Crazy but true.
* I saw a very handsome rooster this morning.
* I am learning a lot about emerging markets, corporate finance, and organizational consulting.
* When I drew a dress today (complete with my body’s actual shape and curves) to show Theodora what I wanted from the fabric we bought at the market on Sunday, she didn’t laugh at my drawing. Instead, she folded it up to take to the seamstress.
* Isaac sent us some hip life gospel music on a flash drive so I can listen to it since we didn’t have luck bargaining for CDs on Saturday at the market.
* I am eating raw groundnuts and they are delicious.
* Driving us back to the hotel after 7pm tonight, I commented that I really like how speed bumps are called “rumble strips” here. Ananda offered that some people call them “Thank you, ma’am”s. I replied “As in, wham bam?” and even the Reverend laughed out loud at my response. When I said “Wow, that was the most inappropriate thing I’ve said in Ghana, and in the Reverend’s truck no less” he laughed even more. I laughed so hard that I cried.
* Since I haven’t been exercising at all, my feet are very happy & healthy.
* The rest of the team is doing a fantastic job taking pictures and is very willing to share, so I am happy to have a lot of great pics on my computer right now.
* Our dance card is always full. Every time we want to eat, play, relax, chat, go to church, go to the beach, see the sights, or anything else, there is always someone eager to accompany us. It’s fabulous!

I could write a lot more (like forest rat being a delicacy, and how it evidently tastes quite good but I don’t plan to try it), but instead I am going to get to sleep at a reasonable hour tonight, since that hasn’t happened in many days.

Finally, not very flattering, but reality… Here is a typical picture of me in Ghana after dancing this weekend. Since it’s literally 100 degrees and incredibly humid, we all (men, women, black, white) sweat when we dance. The Ghanaians (even women) actually just carry sweat rags with them at all times (including dancing, church, shopping, etc.). So here I am at the end of a hip life song – happy, hot, sweaty, hair tied in a knot behind me to keep it off my neck:



Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment