Friday, August 28, 2009

You know you're rich, right?

I was surprised when someone said something to me this week about "the top 1% of the world's wealth" that I mentioned in my previous post, as if I had been bragging. It made me realize that my point may have been missed so I wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to be a braggadocio. Everyone who lives in America (not Africa or Argentina) and is reading this right now on their own computer is probably in the top 10% of the world's wealth. And those of us who have professional degrees and live in higher cost areas (which drive higher salaries) are probably in the top 1% of the world's wealth, because literally billions of people in the world live on a few dollars a day. If you don't believe me, you'll be humbled by going to www.globalrichlist.com or www.leastof.org and entering your annual salary.

Such a good reminder that we're called to be responsible with what we're given, and that many of us have been given much. Enjoy, and feel free to share those links!

To whom much has been given, much will be required; and to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded. (Luke 12:48)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree Tasha you are very right in the post above.. but I think the people who are living on a few dollars is somehow the outcome of their own deficiencies or may be the carelessness because in this age earning some dollars is no more a big deals.. and yes literacy is one of the major issues which come across... anywazz nice posting :)

    Lee Albert
    http://ghanaflight.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete